Thursday, January 8, 2009

A few random thoughts.

I'm thinking of changing the location of my story. I want to set it in somewhere that...I'm more familiar with. I think it'll have more authenticity and life that way.

For two weeks, I've been writing this letter to a muse who pissed me off. I think that, when I finally send it, it'll be a sign of overcoming a significant mental block. And then maybe I can get on with what I need to write.

I have a strong feeling that once I start writing this again, I'm gonna go full speed and not stop until I've got a whole first draft. (I hope I'm right.)

A co-worker gave me something today that made me smile. He came back from a trip to India with a tiny carved statue of Ganesh. He told me that this is the deity who oversees obstacles. I thought that was fitting until he told me that he's also the deity of writers. (How have I not heard of Ganesh before?) I think this is one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever been given. Not just because it's a cool gift, but because it shows that somebody else believes in me, believes I can do this, and wants to see me do this.

Sometimes, just knowing that somebody else has faith in you is enough to kick-start a finicky motivation. I feel grateful.

No comments: