Monday, January 24, 2011

When I'm at my worst--I'm also at my best.


I'm a big fan of Californication. Although I don't screw up as much as Hank Moody does, I can relate to him. Like all writers, he's trying to write something while he's fully immersed in the chaos of life. And in last night's episode, when he's hit rock bottom again, something in him snapped. When he really felt like he had nothing left--Karen was mad at him Becca was angry with him, he's got lawsuits to deal with, he doesn't have a ton of money--he isolated himself from the world, and sat down to start bangin' that screenplay out of his trusty typewriter.



I've been there.



I'm there right now.



I don't know what's going to happen. My brain is equal parts swelled with love and logic. But I do know this: the more angry I am, the more in pain I am, the better I can write. It's the way I've always been.



I wrote another 1,000+ words last night. Three more chapters.



And they're damn good.



Exactly the way I wanted them to be.



Even if everything in my own life is not.

No comments: